Monday, August 8, 2011

What's in a picture??

About everyone has them on their walls. Some are of friends, family; others are of animals, plants or paintings. But mostly everyone has pictures on their walls. Some are in frames, some are just taped on, and then there is my favorite, a page out of a magazine. What ever they are of they serve a purpose, to decorate, to remind, to show your taste in things, to make your home homey. And then there are pictures that represent your religion, and those are the ones I want to look into closer. Since I was small I have always had three pictures in my house, one was of the last supper, one that looks like a little kid kneeling and praying and one of the Savior, Jesus Christ. Now as I make my own home, I have incorporated some of those familiar pictures and I have added some of my own also. I have the picture of Jesus that my mom put up on the wall, and my dad gave me the picture of the child praying. But I have added a picture of the LDS prophets, from Joseph Smith to Gordon B. Hinckley. When I went to St. Louis on Friday, on the temple grounds was a church distribution store and so I popped my head in and bought a picture of our current prophet, Thomas Monson and his councilors as well as the Nauvoo and St. Louis Temples. Later that night I was able to find some very inexpensive frames. Now my current pictures are hanging in the dinning room, but since I have bought the new ones I have this urge to rehang them in the living room, even though I can see them from the where I sit on the couch I till have the urge to move them. Why is that? What is the symbolism behind the pictures. Well the one of Christ should be obvious. Having a picture of him is comforting, it helps in time of need to be able to gaze upon his face as I pray. The ones of the temples are. To remind me that I have gone into those temples to do baptisms for the dead and I should strive to get my endowments and be sealed to my family. But what about the prophets? Why have a picture of them? That is a good question that I still do not know the answer too. Is it because I sustain them as prophets of Heavenly Father and I know in my heart they were his servants? Is it because that is what a Mormon family suppose to have in their home? Is it a standard for a Mormon family to have them? What is the true meaning behind the pictures. I think it is because I know they were called of God to lead his church and because I support them (sustain) them, that is why I have them. Because under the guidance of prophets is where I want my home to be. I want my home built under Christ' teachings and words and my home guided by the living prophet. A home built upon the word of God has a firm foundation and can not be falter. That is the meaning behind my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment