Wednesday, August 17, 2011

lds.net blog II


 I never understood the importance of the Sacrament until now...   3/12/11


Tomorrow is Fast and Testimony meeting at our local branch and I am anticipating attending church.  I have not attended church for about 3 weeks, it may seem easy to go to church but when you live about 15 miles away from the clostest meeting house it is a little difficult.  One reason is that my car is not registered here, another is that sometimes I can't get ahold of anyone that can come an pick me up.  We are a small branch that covers at least 6 other towns.  Rural Missouri is very different than California, I was raised in California where the meeting houses where right there in the town.  But I am very greatful when a member from the church comes out of their way to pick me up to attend. Since I have not attended church, I have been going to a local church, which is alright, but they are missing something.  Aside from the drums and guitars and the hour long singing, which all of that I can get past, SOMETHING was missing.  And I didn't notice that until 2 weeks ago.  At first I thought it was going to be because they had a preacher, who by the way brings up some interesting points from the Bible, as well as talking about what spiritual gifts we were given, but it wasn't that either.  Finally it dawned on me....this church is missing the sacrament, as well as classes: but that wasn't important. Growing up I always thought Sacrament meeting was boring.  I would fall asleep, draw, color, want to take more bread than one piece, play with my bread instead of eat it right away, normal kid stuff.  When I grew older, I still kind of thought it was boring, not really paying attention to the talks, and still drawing or passing notes to who ever I went with.  Since 2009, when I started attending church more regulary, I started to notice that I was paying attention to the talks, I was reading the blessing prayer of the sacrament, I was reading my scriptures during the passing of the sacrament.  I was doing what I should have been doing since I was young....being reverent. But it still didn't dawn on me what the true meaning about sacrament was, or for that matter how sacred it is.Even though I am not able to partake of the sacrament, due to my unworthiness, I still enjoy being in the building while it is being passed.  Each week that I attend church, I find that Sacrament Meeting is sacred. I noticed that each week I am wanting to take the necessary steps so that way I may partake of it and renew my baptismal covenants that I made.  Sacrament Meeting holds a new place in my heart.  My mom always said that if we were running late to church we had to make it before sacrament was passed, now I understand why.I do not want to be an unworthy partaker.  3 Nephi 28-30 struck me hard when I read it: And now behold, this is the commandment which I give unto you, that ye shall not suffer any one knowingly to  eateth and drinketh damnation to his soul; therefore if ye know that a man is unworthy to eat and drink of my flesh and blood ye shall forbid him. unto him and shall pray for him unto the Father, in my name; and if it so be that he repenteth and is baptized in my name, then shall ye receive him, and shall minister unto him of my flesh and blood. I know now that I will strive to get my self worthy to partake of it again, I now know the importance of the sacrament and I hope each and every one of you, my brothers and sisters, remember the importance of it and not look at the Sacrament Meeting as just another day in church, but look at it for what it really is....A BLESSING!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment