Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Realization of my personal Liahona



Yesterday sister cts suggested we read the book of mormon and start at the Book of Mosiah. So with her eldest daughter and our friend jn r we read chapter 1 together. There has been a verse that stuck jumped out at me. It is Mosiah 1:16 king benjamin talks about "...the ball or director, which led our fathers through the wilderness." that ball was the liahona, a compass given to Lehi. The first mention of the Liahona was in 1Nephi 16:10. In 1Nephi 16:26-29 it mentions the Lord would write messages on it, so that the Nephites would understand what the Lord required of them. It would also change from time to time. 1Nephi 16:28 tells us "...the pointers which were in the ball, that they did work according to the faith and diligence and heed which we did give unto them." I have noticed that the scriptures work the same way that the Liahona worked for the Nephites.  I can read one scripture, one verse, and it would mean something to me.  Then days or even a year later I can read the same verse and it would mean something totally different to me.  My personal Liahona is my scriptures.  By the Lord were they written, through his servents, and the Lord speaks to me through them.   One day it can mean something and the next it can mean something else.  Each time I read the scriptures, they guide me through the wilderness.  Now my wilderness is not the same as the Nephites wilderness that was spoken of in the Book of Mormon.  No MY wilderness is not uninhabited land that I must go throught.  MY wilderness is everyday life, the life we live.  It is the place I work, my friends, my town, my home.  That is MY wilderness, and MY Liahona is the scriptures that guide me through everyday life.  The Bible, The Book of Mormon, the Pearl of Great Price and The Doctrine and Covenants.  They are my Liahona, and as long as I am faithful and I put my trust in the Lord, my Liahona will continue to work, it will continue to lead me through my wilderness, it will lead me down the path of rightousness, it will lead me on that straight and narrow path.  It will lead me to that promise land, which for me is Heaven. Find your personal Liahona, have it guide you, find your messages from the Lord in it.

“If we listen to and follow the promptings of the Spirit, they will serve as a Liahona, guiding us through the unknown, challenging valleys and mountains that are ahead (see 1 Nephi 16).”-
First Presidency Message
General Conference—No Ordinary Blessing
By President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Second Counselor in the First Presidency

No comments:

Post a Comment