Thursday, June 28, 2012

Polygamy

So being born Mormon and being raised in my church we have a heritage with polygamy. It is a revelation that was given and when Utah wanted to become a state the church banned polygamy and also the Prophet at the time had a revalation from God to stop the practice. Some didn't like that and so they broke off and formed the Fundamentalist church of Jesus Christ of latter-day saints. I just don't understand why it is illegal. The supreme court ruled it illegal more than 100 years ago. But they couldn't give a great reason why. Yes in our society we tend to think that marriage is only between a man and a woman but that isn't the case for everyone. There are gay couples, who now can marry in California. So why not allow it for religious purposes? People say to separate church and government, we say that this is the land of the free but yet we are not allow to practice our religion. I can see if they are marrying off underage girls, I am not saying this is right arrest the people who are doing that. But for ones who are consenting adults wanting to do this with other consenting adults then let them. I myself could not be in a polygamist relationship but if I did believe that as part of my religion then I would want to practice it.
UPDATE: Since I wrote this, and even before, polygamy has been on my mind.  I still don't think I could ever have a polygamist relationship.  I have even questioned myself to see if I even think I can share my husband with another woman and the answer always comes back to no.  We haven't had any children of our own and I think that if he were to take on another wife and she were to become pregnant right away it would crush me.  I can't imagine him spending his time with someone else either because when he is off of work I want him to spend all of his time with me.  The only thing that sounds appealing is that there would be another woman to help with the home duties, instead of me alway nagging him to help.  Do I think about polygamy? Do I wonder what my life would be like if I were in a relationship like that? Yes to both.  Do I see the struggles in it? Yes I do.  The show Sister Wives is a wonderful show, it shows their struggles but at the sametime their unity in the family.  I think I will always think about polygamy, I just don't think I could ever become one.

No comments:

Post a Comment