Monday, December 12, 2011

Why am I Mormon?

I was asked one ay, no by one but by more than one friend, why I am Mormon. This question has been stuck in my head for quite awhile, and I have ponder the question. Is it because that is what I know since I grew p in the church, tradition? (those who know me know I have strayed away from it then came back) is it because I am too scared to venture out and see what other churches offer? (i cant really say it is that because I have been to other churches). Do I really believe in Mormonism? When I think of this question one thing pops into my mind: I am Mormon because I have prayed about it, I have prayed to know if the Book of Mormon is true, I have prayed to know if what I believe in is correct. And each and every time the Holy Ghost has whispered to me that yes what I believe in is true. I have felt the Spirit of the Lord tell me that Joseph Smith was a prophet and that the works that we do both in and out of our temples is right. When it comes to explaining my beliefs for some reason I can not voice them, I can not explain why I believe the way I believe. All I know is that the Holy Ghost has told me the truths, I have found my answers in both the bible and the book of Mormon. I know that men interpret the Bible to fit their needs. If Heavenly Father spoke to prophets in the old days then why can't he do it now? Why is it that the Bible has to come from one set of books, couldn't there be other works of God out there? I believe with all my heart and soul that all the prophets of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints from Joseph Smith to Thomas S. Monson were called of God to prepare the children of God for the second coming. To prepare us for Celestial Glory and to dwell with our father and savior Jesus Christ in heaven. Men are flawed therefore religion is flawed. The interpretation of the Bible can sometimes be flawed. For it speaks to each person in different ways. People have rejected some the teachings of Christ or have changed them, that is why there are so many different churches. But one thing that hasn't changed is the love of our Heavenly Father and the atonement of Jesus Christ, which through him and only him can we be saved. God is the same before and now. If we do not live a righteous path by first, faith in the Lord and Jesus Christ and by our good works and following the commandments of God the we have failed in this life. Jesus taught to love one another, and how do we do that" by our works and service. The Holy Ghost has told me these things are true, and that is why I am Mormon...."Ask and it shall be given; seek and ye shall find; knock and it shall be opened unto you" Matthew 7:7 (Luke 11:9, 3nephi 27:29 and 14:7). I say these things and bear my testimony that I know God lives and wants us to return unto him. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

1 comment:

  1. Adrianna, I love your testimony, not only this one that you have shared in written form, but the one you live. I know you have your struggles, but I also know that God knows your heart, and as long as you keep trying, He will help you. Thank you for expressing so thoughtfully the things that you know. Think of them often and they will give you strength.

    ReplyDelete